Friday, February 5, 2010

Roni - response to Susanne's post

Roni Lancaster - 2/5/2010

Interesting article. It definitely seems to be one-sided. I'm not much of a video game player, personally, but I've never taken such an abrasive attitude toward the medium. I've played just enough to know that there are a lot of games out there that do have story, and seem to be the better for it. Actually, the ones with story are the ones I enjoy playing more - when I get the chance to play, that is. I had a roommate once who is a big aficionado of video games. And he was far from what this article stereotypes as the typical gamer.

I know there are different types/styles of games out there, but I'm enjoying what we're doing in this class, and in our group. I've definitely gained a lot of respect for the process of coming up with a story for a video game. I like the group aspect of being able to toss around ideas with other people. I've found that it helps (at least me) iron out inconsistencies, or to problem solve story issues. Whenever I've tried to write something for myself I always reach a point where I'm not sure where to go next with the story. With a group dynamic, bouncing ideas off of other people is really helpful. Granted, sometimes there are too many ideas when working in a group, and the whittling down of ideas can often be as much of a challenge as getting past the initial story hurdle. But overall I find I'm enjoying the process. And as I said before, my respect for story writers [for video games] has increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment